Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Doormat - Part Deux

Painting a doormat, how hard could it be?  Well, a little harder than I thought.   On the Monday after my initial post I jumped right into the project and bought all needed supplies. Since I was making my own template for the pattern I decided to alter it slightly.  The H&M doormat was a little too pointy.  So, I widened the spacing between the tips of the zigs and zags.  I started the stencil and was almost finished when I realized that not only did each row need to be centered (with a tip in the middle in each), but the spacing and angles needed to be (fairly) accurate. 


So, on to stencil number two. You might be able to discern the center line that I penciled in.  I made the pattern template using equally sized rectangles taped together at 90˚ angles and then used it to trace all of the rows I needed.
 

Then I cut out the stencil wearing down the blades of my box cutters in the process.  It took up a, felt, eternity.


There it is the plain doormat, about to be transformed.  In case you are wondering I did for a moment consider running back to the store to get yellow spray paint, but then I thought of hoards of small muddy shoes.  FYI, I used a whole can (small one) of spray paint to get the black I wanted.  Turns out coconut fiber is a natural fiber (duh) and absorbs paint, lots of paint.


And here it is all finished and stuff.

9 comments:

  1. Kannst stolz auf dich sein, ich finde die ganze Arbeit hat sich gelohnt! Die Fußmatte ist super geworden, sie passt richtig gut zu eurem Eingang.

    Liebe Grüße Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that it was worth the effort, it turned out great. It sure warms up the entire entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is brilliant! and it looks better than the one in the catalog. I've been looking for a new mat for a while and have had a hard time finding something I actually want to spend money on. thanks for the idea and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Looks really professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally looks better than H&M's! Nice tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. W O W - das sieht ja fast genauso aus, wie das original!!! bin beeindruckt. ich finde, die mühen haben sich gelohnt (auch wenn ich den türvorleger gut, aber auch nicht SO herausragend fand). schon allein, dass du ihn selbst gemacht hast, macht ihn tatsächlich WUNDERSCHÖN!

    gruß dani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great idea! Never would have thought of this and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toll sieht das aus!! Ich liebe Zickzackmuster! Und schön, dich in der Bloggerwelt gefunden zu haben (neben solebich)! Liebe Grüße!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ philuko - nett von dir zuhoeren! du hast ein blog? werde gleich mal reinschauen...

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you!