Anybody remember this post about my Thonet stool from last year? Yeah, me either. Of course, if I consider that I first attempted to refinish it in 2002 or 2003, putting it off for another 17 months doesn't seem so terrible. It is all a matter of (distorted) perception, I guess.
Aside for the terrible refinishing job I did, I also used (or abused) the stool as a plant stand. The pot leaked and hence the cracks. Normal blogging procedure would be to now show a series of pictures showing the step-by-step DIY. I am going to break the tradition,
mostly because I neglected to take pictures. I did Instragram a photo showing the first coat of color going on. My process was simply to agonize for weeks about color choice, decide on black, fill the cracks (standard wood filler), lightly sand the surface, spray a coat of primer and finally spray several coats satin paint. When I first went to buy the supplies I was positive one can of spray paint would be more that enough, but I ended up using almost three cans. Seems excessive, but most of the paint was wasted when I sprayed the legs. That and I was obsessed with getting the finish as close to perfect as I could.