Monday, August 1, 2011

Schultüte

One more week and Sam will be starting school.  It is all new to us, since neither Milt nor I ever attended a German school.  One of the most important things about starting school here is the Schultüte that every child entering the 1st grade receives.  It is a large decorated cardboard cone that is filled with small toys, school supplies, and sweets.  The idea being that this gift will make the start of school a bit sweeter.  A nice tradition, I think.

There are plenty of pre-made ones that can be purchased, but I thought it would be nicer to come up with my own design.  My little guy is totally into dinosaurs at the moment, so I wasn't surprised that he choose them as a motive when I asked him.  I am still working on it, but this is how my project is doing at the moment.


10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, that is so very sweet, what a wonderful idea to help the children to love school from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tradition, too. The picture of my husband's first day of school shows him with a Schultüte that's almost as big as he was, lol. His birthday is actually the first day of school this year and since he's a teacher I was thinking of making a mini Tüte for him...I need to get moving on that...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful tradition.....be sure to share his with us.....off to school, I always cry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ich sehe es schon vor meinem geistigen Auge, die wird ganz wundervoll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wie aufregend, der erste Schultag naht! Ich liebe Schultüten und die für Sam wird bestimmt ganz zauberhaft. Als ich eingeschult wurde, haben meine Eltern auch eine Riesentüte gebastelt, die war fast größer als ich... Stolz wie Bolle, schleppte ich dann den ganzen Tag mit mir rum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ich bin auch schon ganz aufgeregt, obwohl das bei uns noch ein Jahr dauert! Ich finde das Schultüten basteln gehört einfach dazu und die wird bestimmt super schön;) Ich wünsche Sam einen super Start in der Schule...

    Ja das mit der Lampe hat schon ein paar Minuten gedauert so ca . 30 min
    LG Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh so süß - was für ne tolle tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea! Cant wait to see the ready Schultuete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again, I will be writing a post on my blog about the schultuete tradition and was wondering if i could include a photo of your completed schultuete with a link to your blog. If you have a photo could you please e-mail me at horstmann_irina@hotmail.co.uk
    Many thanks
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Monica, thank you for getting back to me. Of course it's been a long day, I can imagine. Please e-mail me a photo of the schultuete and i will include it in my post. Many thanks
    Irina

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you!